When groomed properly, curly hair definitely looks great. Its natural shine, coarse texture and wavy shape just look hot on men. Need proof? Brody Jenner, Nick Jonas, Eric Dane and Kit Harington are just some of Hollywood’s curly-haired heartthrobs who effortlessly look hot with their gorgeous head of curls.
Have you ever wondered why some people grow straight hair while you grow curly hair? Here is the quick science behind your ringlets: curly hair grows from hair follicles that are not symmetrical or straight, hence causing the hair to curl. The type of hair we grow depends on our genes – so basically you cannot do anything about it but simply embrace it and know how to properly take care of it.
Curly hair: curse or boon?
Growing and maintaining curly hair can be quite a challenge, especially for men. Not many men like to use a variety of hair products for men or spend much time on hair care regimens. And this is the reason why many men think their curls are a curse!
Unlike straight hair, curly hair is coarser, holds less water, and tends to be dryer. On humid weather, this hair type can easily become frizzy. So, to maintain those gorgeous curls, you have to dedicate a few minutes of your day to some hair care routines. Do it religiously and you’d surely sport a head of well-kept, healthy ringlets just like dashing Kit Harington.
Here are some hair care tips for men with curly hair:
- Don’t shampoo your hair more than twice a week. Shampoo removes the natural oils of your hair thus making it drier.
- Moisturize your hair with regular use of hair conditioner to keep your hair smooth, soft and shiny.
- Make sure you use the right variety of men hair care products specifically designed for curly hair.
- Use wide toothed hair brush or comb to get rid of frizzy tangled hair. Take note: narrow toothed combs can cause hair breakage.
- If you can’t commit to few minutes every day for hair care, you better keep your curly hair short.
- Ask the help of your hairstylist in picking the right hairstyle for your curls. You can also check online for the latest hairstyles. Celebrity magazines, hairstylist, hair products and hair photographer websites/blogs feature gorgeous hairstyles that you might want to try.
- Apply hair cream such as hair gel, serum or mousse to make styling easier and to set the gorgeous ringlets for the entire day.
- Never allow your hair to dry while tangled up or messy. Make sure to detangle wet hair to avoid it from frizzing. Also, detangling the hair once it has dried up can be a lot more difficult.
- As much as possible, avoid using blow dryers as heat can make curly hair unmanageable and brittle.
- Allow your hair to dry naturally. Avoid rubbing towel to your hair as this can damage the hair strands and make them brittle. Instead of rubbing the hair, wrap your hair with towel and let the water soak. You can learn how girls do plopping here.
- Regular hair oil and massage can also help prevent drying and maintain the right moisture level of your hair.
Hair care isn’t just for women. Men’s hair – especially curly type – deserves appropriate hair care too. Hopefully these tips help you manage your curly crowning glory!